Forum all new and wonderful
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

Latest topics
» Kerala’s famous Ayurveda treatments
Murray v Malisse as it happened EmptyWed Nov 05, 2014 6:06 am by ilsaim

» Cure for rheumatoid Arthritis
Murray v Malisse as it happened EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 6:23 am by qerlindamin

» aspects to ponder upon when registering for yoga training
Murray v Malisse as it happened EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 5:55 am by liyonna

» View the match Singapore, Jordan, 10/11/2011 online
Murray v Malisse as it happened EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 11:19 pm by Admin

» View the match against Singapore vs Jordan, 10/11/2011 online
Murray v Malisse as it happened EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 10:50 pm by Admin

» View the match against Singapore, Jordan, 10/11/2011 online
Murray v Malisse as it happened EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 10:49 pm by Admin

» China vs Singapore - All Goals & Match Highlights (02 Sep 2011) 2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifier
Murray v Malisse as it happened EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 10:43 pm by Admin

» Very funny cats pictures and beautiful, cats, funny, beautiful, wonderful, fascinating mind
Murray v Malisse as it happened EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 11:43 pm by Admin

» Solar Panel Installation - A Career With A Bright Future
Murray v Malisse as it happened EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 10:47 pm by Admin

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Murray v Malisse as it happened

Go down

Murray v Malisse as it happened Empty Murray v Malisse as it happened

Post  Admin Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:16 am

2023: I hope you enjoyed that - a couple of hours in the company of Rafael Nadal is never a bad thing, right? Anyway, it's time for me to bid you farewell, after a solid enough start to the grass season for the Spaniard, and for Andy Murray too of course. Plenty to look forward to tomorrow, when a certain James Ward will be back in action. Join Aimee Lewis to find out how he gets on against defending champion Sam Querrey. Cheerio for now.

Twitter
British number two Jamie Ward, who beat fourth seed Stanislas Wawrinka on Tuesday and takes on defending champion Sam Querrey on Thursday, on Twitter: "Good day today... looking forward to playing tomorrow again!! Hope for some good support out there... come on!!!!"

BBC Sport's Piers Newbery at Queen's Club: "It's been pretty depressing, even for one of mine," jokes Andy Murray after a lengthy quizzing on his ankle at the press conference."

World number one Rafael Nadal on adjusting to his first singles match on grass in 2011, just three days after winning the French Open: "It's never easy at the start of the grass court season. Everything is completely differerent, and you don't have a lot of days to adapt to the different surface. It's not enough, but I've progressed. I am a little bit tired because I had a tough Roland Garros and clay-court season but I am here to try my best like always."

2013: A few hugs and handshakes for Rafa on his way back to the locker room too. He will be back home in time to watch The Apprentice.

Nadal 6-4 6-4 Ebden
Job done for Rafa, who holds to love and breaks into his first smile of the evening as he shakes Ebden's hand at the net after wrapping up his win in 74 minutes. He is applauded off court, after a few autographs and photos, and will play Radek Stepanek next.

2010: RAFAEL NADAL BEATS MATTHEW EBDEN 6-4 6-4

*Nadal 6-4 5-4 Ebden
Ebden's final flourish? Possibly. More big serving takes him to 40-0, and the crowd show their appreciation, while Nadal just glares at the floor. There's time for a double-fault too, before a Rafa return zooms out, meaning he will serve for the match next. "Matt can be pleased with his display and he is a very good all-round player," says Pat Cash. "I think grass is a good surface for him because it adds some pace to his shots."
* denotes NEXT to serve

Nadal 6-4 5-3 *Ebden
Hmmm. It seems Rafa is still getting used to the balls, not just an unfamiliar surface, chucking in another double fault at 15-0. Ebden does not build on that break point he had in Rafa's last service game, though, and a rash of mistakes sees the Spaniard hold with ease. "this has been a useful work-out for Rafa," says Pat Cash on the Red Button. The world number one is now just one game from victory.
* denotes NEXT to serve

*Nadal 6-4 4-3 Ebden
Ebden is still serving very well, but it is so obvious that Rafa is just warming up that he may as well be doing stretches out there between points. The Aussie holds, and Rafa does a runner... Off to the toilet, I think.
* denotes NEXT to serve

Nadal 6-4 4-2 *Ebden
Pat Cash has been explaining on the Red Button how Matt Ebden was violently ill a couple of days ago, and still feeling "a bit woozy" today. He deserves even more credit for the way he has played against Rafa, then, because he has put up a decent fight and showed some very quick feet to chase down a Rafa drop-volley to earn his first break point of the match. Rafa saves it with ease, mind, and eventually holds. By the way, the winner of this match (highly likely to be Rafa) will play Radek Stepanek in round three after the Czech player fought back to beat 16th seed Ivan Ljubicic 0-6 7-5 6-4.
* denotes NEXT to serve

*Nadal 6-4 3-2 Ebden
At 30-all, Ebden might be wobbling but he recovers well, rounding off a hold with a clever little drop-shot that Rafa doesn't look too interested in chasing down.
* denotes NEXT to serve

Nadal 6-4 3-1 *Ebden
Rafa's awkward second serve digs him out of a hole at 30-all, just when Ebden might have been sensing a break (that's not another snooker pun by the way). "It's another hold for Nadal, but he has not ripped through any service games in this set," says Andrew Cotter. "Nadal is not steamrolling the Australian here."
* denotes NEXT to serve

*Nadal 6-4 2-1 Ebden
No bagels in this set either, with Ebden settling down and focusing on backing up his big serve with a couple of big winners. Pat Cash, commentating on the Red Button, has been asking him to pick the pace up a bit on his groundstrokes for a while now, and the 23-year-old Aussie gets his reward for doing just that.
* denotes NEXT to serve

Nadal 6-4 2-0 *Ebden
Ebden gets two points on the Rafa serve, which he hasn't managed too often tonight, but that is as good as it gets. Rafa is playing well within himself, but is still good enough to remain well in control.
* denotes NEXT to serve

Text in your views on 81111
From anon, via text: "Why is everybody trying to camouflage themselves?"

Our friend anon is referring to the fact that Ebden and Rafa are both wearing the same shade of blue as the hoardings/chairs/scoreboards/ballkids all around their court. It isn't doing my eyes too many favours, and is a bit like watching a weird version of Avatar.

*Nadal 6-4 1-0 Ebden
Oh dear. Just the start Ebden DIDN'T need to the second set. Too many sloppy groundstrokes, including an easy backhand volley into the net, and not enough of those booming serves, mean Nadal has another break.
* denotes NEXT to serve

BBC Sport's Piers Newbery at Queen's Club: "As Nadal looks in control against Aussie qualifier Ebden on Centre, Del Potro finally gets under way after he and Kunitsyn are moved to ct10."

FIRST SET

Nadal 6-4 *Ebden
No hiccups for Nadal here, apart from one over-hit attempt at a huge forehand winner at 30-0. He wraps up the first set when a second serve is too hot for Ebden to handle.
* denotes NEXT to serve

*Nadal 5-4 Ebden
"Ebden is putting up a very good fight," says Andrew Cotter on the Red Button, after seeing the Aussie put in another decent shift on serve. Rafa is trying to attack with his returns, but is not having too much luck. Still, he will serve for the first set next.
* denotes NEXT to serve

Nadal 5-3 *Ebden
Rafa occasionally smacks his shoes with his racquet, to clear some imaginary clay. I know where he's coming from - one match on red shale (welsh clay) would ruin my Andre Agassi trainers for weeks when I was a kid. Back to the present, and Nadal is still making the odd mistake, but still holding easily enough. Ebden doesn't seem to have the game from the back of the court to back up those booming serves.
* denotes NEXT to serve

*Nadal 4-3 Ebden
Ebden's serve is keeping him in this first set, so it's pretty handy that he batters down two aces here. Rafa's timing is still a bit out, even when he does get a racquet on the ball, but I don't think he is too worried at the moment.
* denotes NEXT to serve

Nadal 4-2 *Ebden
A crosscourt backhand winner by Ebden gets him off to the perfect start on the Rafa serve, even if he did frame it a bit (I never own up to those ones either). But Nadal still holds comfortably enough despite glaring at the balls after chucking in a double fault.
* denotes NEXT to serve

*Nadal 3-2 Ebden
Is Rafa in his stride on grass already then? Maybe not, because he shanks a couple of forehands wide at 30-all and that's another hold for Ebden, who has come through qualifying to reach this stage. "When you play the world number one you think you have to play better but you actually just have to do the basics right and try to get your first serves in," says Pat Cash on the Red Button. "Matt has done pretty well at that so far."
* denotes NEXT to serve

Twitter
TomMughal on Twitter: "168th in the world? Coincidentally the number of times Rafa will break his serve in the match."

Nadal 3-1 *Ebden
For a start, the Aussie will have to a lot better on Rafa's serve too. He doesn't fare too well here, because the Spaniard holds to love.
* denotes NEXT to serve

*Nadal 2-1 Ebden
Ebden is serving a lot better already, mind and that seems to have given him a confidence boost. An ace sees him get off the mark, so no bagels to be dished out in this set. Apologies if I am not sounding too optimistic about his chances by the way, but Nadal already seems to have taken command, even at this early stage.
* denotes NEXT to serve

Nadal 2-0 *Ebden
An ace by Rafa seals his first service game, although Ebden does manage one big winner of his own to show that he is not going to go without a whimper here. It's his debut at Queen's, and he is facing the World number one and two-time Wimbledon champion, so this is a HUGE ask.
* denotes NEXT to serve

*Nadal 1-0 Ebden
Clay, grass, sand, mud. It's probably all the same to Rafa. He chucks in a sloppy backhand slice to let a nervy-looking Ebden back to 30-all on the Aussie's serve but is soon wrapping up his opening break with a punishing forehand pass.
* denotes NEXT to serve

1856: Right then, we are under way. Ebden to break... I mean serve first. Give this page a manual refresh and you will discover that Aimee has departed for the evening. I'm Chris Bevan, and you can tweet me at @chrisbevan_bbc using the hashtag #BBCTennis please. Or feel free to text me via 81111 (UK) instead.

1853: You will be glad to know, then, that Rafa is currently warming up on a chilly evening in west London, ahead of his opening singles match on grass this year, against world number 168 Matthew 'don't call me Peter' Ebden. I've got a feeling the Australian might need snookers to win this one...

1849: Hello there. Any of you lot fancy a little bit of Rafael Nadal to help you relax at the end of a long, hard day at the office? Thought so...

By Aimee Lewis

1842: A fine performance from the Brit in an entertaining match. Murray will next play Janko Tipsarevic of Serbia in the third round. "I'll have to play better if I'm going to beat him," Murray tells Andrew Cotter as he reveals his ankle is "ok". Right, it's sadly time for me to leave you and hand over to the magnificent Chris Bevan, who will guide you through the next match. It's only Rafael Nadal v Matthew Ebden. Should be a good one. Thanks for all your contributions today. They've kept us all amused.

ANDY MURRAY BEATS XAVIER MALISSE 3-6 7-5 3-6

Malisse 3-6 7-5 3-6 * Murray
"Malisse isn't panicking," says Andrew Castle when it's 30-30 but the right-hander slumps in frustration as Murray earns match point and then seals victory when his opponent can only tamely find the net. A wave of appreciation to the crowd from Murray, who give the winner a standing ovation after a hard-fought victory, blighted by the rain. "I thought it was a good performance," says John Lloyd. "Malisse is a dangerous customer on grass."

* Malisse 3-6 7-5 3-5 Murray
Murray clenches his fist in delight as an ace out wide makes it 15-40 and he's one game away from clinching the match as Malisse drifts a return into the net.
* Denotes next server

Malisse 3-6 7-5 3-4 * Murray
There's no holding back from Malisse as he serve-volleys for 40-15 and then heads back to his chair after a satisfactory ace secures the game.
* Denotes next server

* Malisse 3-6 7-5 2-4 Murray
Malisse hasn't beaten Murray in their three previous matches and although this match seems to be heading the Scot's way, Malisse is at least making Murray work for his money with a delightful forehand down the line to put the Scot under pressure. "That's superb tennis," purrs John Lloyd as Mallise moves in to sweetly volley beyond Murray for two break points. Malisse squanders the first and a Murray serve-volley, "his break and butter," according to John Lloyd takes the game to deuce. Two break points saved. Phew. Murray's second serve is letting him down and he's a little sloppy around the net, but a Malisse forehand drifts into the tramlines and then the Belgian can only find the net to hand Murray the game.
* Denotes next server

Malisse 3-6 7-5 2-3 * Murray
Another roar of frustration for Murray as Malisse produces an ace for 30-30 and the game heads to deuce as Malisse fails to get much air on an attempted hotdog. It goes to serve, however, as Malisse finishes with another ace.
* Denotes next server

* Malisse 3-6 7-5 1-3 Murray
A rare drop shot from Murray has Malisse scrambling in vain and the Scot calmly moves to 30-0. Malisse then wildly hits an overhead shot long for 40-0. "How can he miss that?" asks John Lloyd as Murray wraps up the game with little fuss
* Denotes next server

Malisse 3-6 7-5 1-2 *Murray
An ace down the centre from Malisse makes it 30-30, but Murray screams "come on" as he forces Malisse to strike the net for break point. The veteran right-hander then sails a forehand long to give Murray the all important break.
* Denotes next server

* Malisse 3-6 7-5 1-1 Murray
Murray hits two aces for 40-0 and Malisse then fails to move his body out of the way in time as Murray clinches the game.
* Denotes next server

Malisse 3-6 7-5 1-0 * Murray
Murray puts no pressure on the Malisse serve and the Belgian holds when Murray nets a routine groundstroke. "Easy hold for Malisse," says John Lloyd.
* Denotes next server

SECOND SET

* Malisse 3-6 7-5 Murray
"Murray's got to work hard here," says John Lloyd as the Scot serves to stay in the set.
It's bad news for a Briton
The atmosphere is suddenly as dark as the clouds as Malisse has Murray worried at 0-30 and it's break point at 15-40 as a rasping Murray volley unluckily hits the cord. Malisse takes his chance and we're heading to a third set.
* Denotes next server

Malisse 3-6 6-5 * Murray
Murray roars in frustration as his error prevents him from claiming three break points, but the Brit is soon at 15-40 as Malisse tries to be too clever. The world number 40 drags the game back to deuce with a forehand winner down the line. Cheers and applause for Murray, though, as the Muzza claims another break point, which he fails to clinch, and Malisse then wrong-foots Murray to hold. Murray is mumbling to himself as he realises he's missed a great opportunity.
* Denotes next server

* Malisse 3-6 5-5 Murray
The average rally length in this match is four, apparently. Gasps of delight from the fans as a sublime backhand volley from Malisse makes it all even at 15-15. Murray proves he has some flair as he volleys deep for 40-15, but Malisse is sensing an opportunity here as he claws his way back to 40-30 with a sensational crosscourt winner. However, a Murray ace brings the game to an end and it's all square again.
* Denotes next server

Former British number one John Lloyd on the Red Button "Malisse is playing well now and this is a good match. Murray might be a set up but the Belgian has a great track record on grass and we shouldn't under-estimate him."

Malisse 3-6 5-4 * Murray
It's ace time as Malisse produces two unreturnable serves from his repertoire to race ahead and he makes Murray serve for the set.
* Denotes next server

* Malisse 3-6 4-4 Murray
"It's a good match," says John Lloyd and Andrew Castle suggests the Scot has lost a little concentration in this set. Murray has no problems on his serve, however, as be produces two stunning aces for 40-15 and Malisse can only direct the next serve into the net. "Brilliant serving," says John Lloyd.
* Denotes next server

Malisse 3-6 4-3 * Murray
A cool serve and volley from Malisse takes him to 40-15 and could this set be heading for a tie-break, as he holds before heading for a sit down.
* Denotes next server

Former British number one John Lloyd on the Red Button "It looks to me like Andy Murray is standing three or four feet closer to the baseline when he is receiving serves than he did when he was playing at the French Open. Rafael Nadal does exactly the same when he comes to play on grass, because he knows that he has to establish territory on the faster surface and not let the balls fly further away from him."

* Malisse 3-6 3-3 Murray
Malisse approaches the net and gets the better of Murray with a crosscourt volley for 0-15. The British number one's girlfriend, Kim Sears, is in the stands and shouts some words of encouragement to the world number four. It doesn't seem to help, though, as a Murray error gives Malisse a sniff at 15-30 but a serve-volley gets Murray out of trouble, and Malisse then strikes long twice from the baseline to hand Murray the game.
* Denotes next server

Malisse 3-6 3-2 * Murray
Great running from Murray, but he can do little but tamely direct a delightful Malisse forehand back to the direction with which it came and the Belgian has plenty of time to head to the net and volley out of Murray's reach. Malisse has started better in the second set than he did in the first and holds again to sneak ahead.
* Denotes next server

* Malisse 3-6 2-2 Murray
The crowd liked that. Malisse tries a hotdog but Muzza has it covered and nonchalantly volleys a winner from the net and the Brit again scampers to the net to clinch his service game with another angled volley.
* Denotes next server

Malisse 3-6 2-1 * Murray
"He's just struggling to hit through Murray," says John Lloyd and I can't argue with that as a brutal Murray forehand from the baseline takes the Brit to 0-30. Malisse recovers to 30-30, though, and amidst the sounds of an aircraft above in the ashen sky Malisse eventually makes easy work of holding.
* Denotes next server

* Malisse 3-6 1-1 Murray
A big serve out wide, which John Lloyd says is 137mph, bamboozles Malisse as Murray races 30-0 and the British number one then charges into the net to win a classy point and he quickly wraps up the game.
* Denotes next server

Malisse 3-6 1-0 * Murray
The rallies are getting longer and longer, but this time it's Malisse in control as he forces Murray to hit wide for 40-30 and another wayward backhand from the Scot gives Malisse the second set opener.
* Denotes next server

Former British number one John Lloyd on the Red Button "Malisse has got very strange body language. Sometimes he wanders around and doesn't look as though he is in a match - then he will hit three winners in a row."

FIRST SET

* Malisse 3-6 Murray
The players seem content to hit back and forth from the middle of the court but Malisse loses patience and his backhand sails long and it's 30-15 to Murray.
It's good news for a Briton
The Brit moves Malisse around the court in a delightful rally, which ends when the 30-year-old's defensive backhand lands in the tramlines. The Murray-ster then wraps up the set and Andrew Castle says: "He's looking totally in control."
* Denotes next server

Malisse 3-5 * Murray
Malisse beautifully despatches of a tame Murray defensive forehand at 15-0 and there's a puff of smoke from the chalk as the world number 40 serves up an ace and holds.
* Denotes next server

*Malisse 2-5 Murray
It's a routine service hold for Murray as he edges closer to winning this first set.
* Denotes next server

Malisse 2-4 * Murray
"Oops," says Andrew Castle when Malisse sloppily hits an overhead wide for 15-15. He recovers, though, and is soon at 40-15 thanks to a fearsome serve down the centre which leaves Murray screaming in despair as he fails to retrieve it. The 30-year-old holds and it's over to Murray.
* Denotes next server

* Malisse 1-4 Murray
We restart at 15-15 and Murray hits a routine forehand long, the Scot's volley at the net then sails into the tramlines and it'stwo break points for Malisse. Fear not, Murray saves one with an ace down the 'T' and the game moves to deuce when the Belgian returns long. Malisse is wayward again as the longest rally of the match ends when the ball hits the net. "Tough game for both players," says Andrew Castle in the commentary box. But a tricky service game is eventually successfully negotiated by Murray. Phew.
* Denotes next server

1703: Murray, dressed in his customary blue t-shirt, walks out on court to cheers and is now hitting some balls with Malisse. There are a few empty seats on Centre Court at the moment, but I'm sure it'll be jam-packed in no time. How difficult is it to remain focused after a delay? "They've all been through it many times, but it is difficult," says John Lloyd on BBC Two. "For Andy Murray he's just got to get through it somehow and get the job done. It was probably not a bad thing for Malisse to come off and reengage."

From Greg in Glasgow via text: "Obviously Bob in south London didn't see Berrer on Tuesday. I've seen better tennis played on sand!! "
Blimey. For those not in the know Germany's Michael Berrer lost in straight sets to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.
1651:
The sun is out
Good news everyone, you've got just under 10 minutes to boil the kettle and get some biscuits before the Murray match restarts. Sue Barker has just informed us the sun is now shining in Kensington. Yay! "They're just going to leave it for 10 minutes or so for the court to dry out," she says on BBC Two.

1647: Ward doesn't seem to be getting carried away with his victory over Wawrinka, even though he's been getting quite a bit of attention since that 7-6 (7-3) 6-3 win. "Obviously it's his first match on grass, so I have to put things into perspective," said the Brit after his stunning success. "He's a great player but it is his first match. I've been playing in Nottingham last week as well to warm up for the tournament, which I think has helped me."

From Bob in south London via text: "I was at Queen's on Tuesday and saw probably the worst display of grass court tennis by Wawrinka. Hats off to Ward though, he was positive throughout."

Twitter
BBC Sport's Piers Newbery on Twitter: "Panic at #queens as jugs of Pimms get unintentionally watered down in the deluge. They had to stop the tennis too."

1629: So being that the players are thinking about it, and so are we if we're honest, how about you take a look at a series of twenty second video clips from 1900-1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s which the Beeb has done ahead of Wimbledon, a tournament which is incidentally celebrating its 125th birthday. The trails are only available for those dwelling in the UK, though, I'm afraid. I don't make the rules.

1624: As fabulous a tournament as Queen's is, and it is fabulous, we all know it's a warm-up, a splendid amuse-bouche, to a fortnight at the The All England Lawn Tennis Club. I'm not going to start a hyperbolic countdown - there are 11 days to go - but the oldest grand slam of them all is undoubtedly at the forefront of all the players' minds.

Matt Juler on Twitter: "Don't panic at Queens, the sun is back out in Slough after 10 minutes of rain!"

From Lewwy via text: "Malisse... Is he a fan of The Jam's 'Town Called Malice' by any chance?"
Oh my, is this what happens when there's a rain delay? You're lucky you're called Lewwy, which almost sounds like Lewis.

From Alan, via text: "Following the tennis on my mobile I see 'Jeremy Paxman biography' as a related article. Decision time, stay with the tennis or read what will no doubts be an incredibly interesting article...?"
I obviously should encourage you to stick with the tennis but being as there's a rain delay, and it seems cats and dogs could be about to fall from the sky, I think you've got time to have a quick peek at Paxman's biography. Let me know what you learn.

Twitter
BBC Sport's Piers Newbery on Twitter: "Good start for Murray after some solid serving, but a huge black cloud is heading this way like something out of Independence Day"

* Malisse 1-3 Murray
Oh, no, who's been doing a rain dance? It's not funny, guys. The umbrellas come out and the players walk off the court as play is suspended with the scores at 15-15. "These are typical conditions," says John Lloyd as the covers go over to protect the turf.
* Denotes next server

Malisse 1-3 * Murray
Slight problem with the live online coverage sorted so if you REFRESH some video will magically appear. Meanwhile, Murray sends a forehand return long at 30-30 and Malisse wins his first game of the match.
* Denotes next server

* Malisse 0-3 Murray
Murray arches his back and sends a rasping ace out wide, which Malisse can only look at, for 40-15 and the 30-year-old lazily sends a forehand long to hand the Scot an easy hold. "It's a strange performance," says John Lloyd. "It's a big bonus for Andy Murray, Malisse just played a dreadful game."
* Denotes next server

Malisse 0-2 *Murray
Murray has three break points as Malisse's forehand sails well beyond the baseline. The Belgian serves an ace down the centre of the court to save one, but a double fault in the next game gives Murray the break. "He didn't have to do too much there," says John Lloyd of Murray.
* Denotes next server

* Malisse 0-1 Murray
"It's definitely better than it was originally," Murray has said of his ankle. "It was a bit sore obviously when it happened, and playing matches on it didn't help too much." He looks comfortable out there at the moment, though, and makes easy work of taking the opening game.
* Denotes next server

1547: Right, time to focus on Murray as he's about to start and we're all hoping his ankle stands up to the rigours of grass after he damaged a tendon on the way to the semi-finals of the French Open. The British number one didn't have a great day at Queen's on Tuesday, when he and his brother, Jamie, lost in the doubles to today's second-round opponent Malisse and Englishman Ken Skupski. But that was doubles and that was yesterday.

1546: All I need from you is your thoughts, tittle-tattle and general musings. Did you witness Ward's memorable moment at Queen's on Tuesday? Do you think Murray will join him in the third round? So many questions need answering. If you're on Twitter, and I'm told all the cool kids are, then why don't you send us a message using the hashtag #BBCtennis or if you prefer to be retro cool then text me on 81111 (UK) with TENNIS before your message. Thanking you.

1545: As ever, there's live coverage of today's matches on BBC Two until 1715 BST while the Red Button and online will continue their broadcast until about 2000 GMT and, it goes without saying, the old live text is always here for you, too. Always.

Twitter
BBC Sport's Piers Newbery on Twitter: "Cilic has beaten Clement so it's time for Murray v Malisse. Classic early grass-court season conditions - damp, chilly, breezy."

1544: Ward has already been on the airwaves this morning, revealing to BBC Radio 5 live's Nicky Campbell he has sacrificed eating chocolate and his favourite biscuits to help him quicken his recovery after matches. "Once I start on one I can probably do a packet or two, that was the problem," says Ward. I know exactly how you feel, James. I'm not sure I'm prepared to give up biscuits to improve my live text performance, though. (Don't say a thing.)

1542: Life, over the next few days at least, might change a little for the previously unknown son of a taxi driver and after beating the second-best player in Switzerland, the 24-year-old's next mission will be to triumph over defending champion Sam Querrey. Something tells me the British number two won't be on Court Nine for that match, the scene of what was undoubtedly the finest moment of his career.

1540: Arsenal fan Ward, the world number 216, has some way to climb before he reaches the heights Murray has in the sport, but he is nevertheless enjoying a boost to his profile. "James is a knockout," sang The Sun, while revealing the secret of Ward's success is his new relationship with Argentinian cage fighter Diego Visotzky. The Daily Mail was equally thrilled as Ward stunned Stan at Queen's, obviously delighted that Britain has a player in the third round before Andy Murray's quest for glory has even begun.

Twitter
Times tennis correspondent Neil Harman on Twitter: "GSM Cilic 6-4 6-4 v Clement. We are about to witness the 2011 grass court debut of the boy Murray."

1537: We're all hoping Andy Murray can make our beaming smiles even wider by beating Xavier Malisse on Centre Court. The rain clouds have slithered off to the distance and the Scot is set to make an appearance at any moment. Should everything go to plan, as it always does in sport, of course, he will meet top seed Rafael Nadal in the final. And speaking of the French Open champion, the Spaniard will jump into action once the Murray match finishes. I don't need to 'big up' today's tennis, do I? Thought not.

1535: You know what I'm going to talk about. It's what everyone's been talking about. Jeremy Paxman even mentioned it on Newsnight. (Ok, he didn't, but maybe he should have.) Yes, James Ward's victory over fourth seed Stanislas Wawrinka on a breezy afternoon in the capital was surprising, sensational and probably a little surreal for the Londoner.

Admin
Admin

https://fantasticweb.ahlamontada.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum