Forum all new and wonderful
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

Latest topics
» Kerala’s famous Ayurveda treatments
At home with... Clare Gage EmptyWed Nov 05, 2014 6:06 am by ilsaim

» Cure for rheumatoid Arthritis
At home with... Clare Gage EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 6:23 am by qerlindamin

» aspects to ponder upon when registering for yoga training
At home with... Clare Gage EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 5:55 am by liyonna

» View the match Singapore, Jordan, 10/11/2011 online
At home with... Clare Gage EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 11:19 pm by Admin

» View the match against Singapore vs Jordan, 10/11/2011 online
At home with... Clare Gage EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 10:50 pm by Admin

» View the match against Singapore, Jordan, 10/11/2011 online
At home with... Clare Gage EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 10:49 pm by Admin

» China vs Singapore - All Goals & Match Highlights (02 Sep 2011) 2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifier
At home with... Clare Gage EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 10:43 pm by Admin

» Very funny cats pictures and beautiful, cats, funny, beautiful, wonderful, fascinating mind
At home with... Clare Gage EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 11:43 pm by Admin

» Solar Panel Installation - A Career With A Bright Future
At home with... Clare Gage EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 10:47 pm by Admin

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

At home with... Clare Gage

Go down

At home with... Clare Gage Empty At home with... Clare Gage

Post  Admin Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:05 am

Design boutique ceramicist Clare Gage is breathing cool new life into the British tea–drinking tradition with her textile and ceramic fused tableware collection (from £14). Here, the first class graduate talks awards, getting herself out there and what makes her tick.

I struck on the idea... of fusing ceramics and textiles during my final year university project. My brief was to bring unusual qualities into ceramics, so I introduced textiles – my other big passion.

I begin with... fabric that I hand–weave and use to make fabric cups that are then created in porcelain. This instills the weave and stitch effect. I make cups, bowls, vases and coasters.

When I was a little girl... I was always making things. I went to millions of classes outside of school – jewelry making, ceramics and textiles.

My creative flair comes from... my parents. My mum loves textiles and my dad is a potter. He used to take me to his classes.

I’ve already had my first international exhibition... in Barcelona in August after being shortlisted for the International Ceramics Contest.

I’ve recently shown my work at... many galleries across the country, including the British Craft Trade Fair in Harrogate, Created Gallery in Chesterfield and Design Edge trade fair.

The most exciting thing that’s happened to me so far... is winning the Royal Society of the Arts award. It felt really important. I had to come to London and have a really pressurised interview in front of a panel – it was a bit like Dragon’s Den!

I’m proud to be... a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts. At an RSA dinner I was the youngest person there by about forty years…

I love my home... because it’s my first. I live in a one–bed flat in Chesterfield. I arrived to view it on my own and liked it straight away. When my boyfriend arrived I told him I’d already made up my mind and wanted to move in.

The best room in my home is... the living room. It has lovely high ceilings, doors onto the patio and the focal point is a gorgeous fireplace.

I was lucky to find... my studio. My parents’ friends were renovating the outbuildings of their shop and they asked if I would like to have my studio there. It’s five minute’s walk away from my flat and it’s absolutely brilliant!

My best find... was an old Indian rug. The shop owner is an antiques dealer and he’d thrown it into the skip, but the builders rescued it for me. It’s a bit faded and tatty, but that’s ok because I get clay all over it.

My biggest challenge so far... has been starting up after university. I knew it was going to be hard, so I took a Flying Start course for women entrepreneurs.

I wouldn’t be where I am now... without being business–minded. It’s not enough to just be creative and to sit around all day making beautiful things – even though that’s what we all want to do. You need to have organisational skills as well.

It’s important to... get yourself out there. Part of being successful after university is being professional and building up your profile. You need to get out there and learn business skills.

For me, it’s all about... working with materials. I’m not inspired by other designers or artists but by the creative process. My ideas are based around the possibilities of what I could do with materials. I’d say I’m more techniques based. I just love trying out something new to see if it will work.

Watch more videos on mydeco.
Like what you read? Find out the latest trends, hot new designers and unbeatable sales deals by subscribing to our weekly newsletter.

Admin
Admin

https://fantasticweb.ahlamontada.net

Back to top Go down